To roll over a previous retirement account to Guideline, the following information may be required, depending on the type of retirement account you would like to roll over; we recommend you contact your previous retirement account provider to obtain this information:
- Previous Brokerage Firm:
- Account Type: IRA, 401(k), or Other Qualified Plan (403b, 457b, Defined Benefit)
- Pre-tax Balance:
- Roth Balance:
- Roth Basis:
- Roth Start Year:
Once you have the information ready, navigate to the “Start a Rollover” tab in your Guideline dashboard, and select “+ Add a Rollover” to begin rolling over your previous retirement account. If any information inputted changes, you will be able edit the details later.
Once you complete the rollover process on your Guideline dashboard, you’ll also need to request a direct rollover from your previous provider, with the following instructions:
- Make the check payable to: BTC for GDL FBO [your name]
- Include your Guideline Account Number on the check. This can be on a memo line, the check payable line, or in an attached check stub or statement.
Mail the check to:
Benefit Trust Company
P.O. Box 12765
Overland Park, Kansas 66282
Please note that Guideline is currently unable to support rollovers via a wire or ACH transfer, and some providers may mail the check directly to you. In this case, you may make copies of the check for your own financial records, and then mail in the check and all supporting documents directly to our custodian, Benefit Trust Company (“BTC”), at the address above.
It will take approximately 7-10 business days for the mail to reach our custodian if sent via USPS. Once they receive your rollover check, it takes approximately 5-7 business days to process and attribute the funds to your account. The funds will appear in your dashboard once the rollover is complete.
- In order to ensure that you do not lose access to your rollover funds for any period of time, Guideline is unable to accept rollover funds until you become eligible to participate in a Guideline 401(k) plan that has completed its first payroll with Guideline. Reach out to the employer sponsoring the Guideline plan, or check your plan’s start date from your Guideline dashboard.
- Please do not send checks directly to Guideline’s business address. Rollover checks should be sent to our custodian at the address listed above to ensure timely processing. Checks sent to an alternative Benefit Trust Company mailing address may also experience longer processing times, as they may need to be re-routed to the correct department internally before processing can begin.
- How do I roll over the funds from one Guideline 401(k) account to another Guideline 401(k) account?
- How do I make an indirect rollover?
- Do I need to report my contributions from this year if I’m rolling over that account to Guideline?
- Requesting a Letter of Acceptance (LOA)
- I need a Medallion Signature Guarantee - can Guideline provide one?