The annual additions limit for overall contributions towards your 401(k) account is $57,000 in 2020.
This limit does not include rollover and catch-up contributions, but does include:
- Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) employee contributions
- Employer matching contributions
- Profit sharing contributions
- Safe harbor employer contributions
- Forfeiture contributions
- Voluntary after-tax contributions
The annual contribution limit may be adjusted annually by the IRS for cost‑of‑living. Also some types of contributions have limits individually. For example, profit sharing contributions are limited to 25% of your includible compensation. We will do our best to notify you every year of the maximum amount you can contribute. See this article to learn more about what happens if you exceed the annual deferral limit.