The following are tips for ensuring a successful upload of payroll reports for your Guideline 401(k) plan.
Keep your Guideline roster up to date
Before uploading your payroll report, make sure that your Guideline roster is current and accurate, including ensuring:
- New hires are added
- Newly eligible employees are accounted for, by providing any missing information for employees
- Employment status is updated for individuals no longer with your company
- Employee personal information is accurate
- Employee contributions are updated
Ensure your payroll report is correctly filled out
It is highly recommended that you use the “Payroll Report Template” available in the Forms & Templates folder of the Resource Library on your Guideline dashboard.
However, regardless of whether you use the template or produce your own report, errors in the information provided can result in issues preventing you from uploading the report, including missing or duplicate information. See "Common Errors in Payroll Reports" to review and correct issues in your payroll report.
Upload your payroll report as a CSV
Once all relevant columns in the report have been filled out, save and upload your payroll report in CSV format.
More information on how to generate a .csv file format:
- Microsoft - Save a workbook to text format (.txt or .csv)
- Apple - Save a copy of a Numbers spreadsheet in another format
Once your payroll report is properly formatted, upload your CSV by clicking the “Submit a payroll report” button in the Payroll tab of your Guideline dashboard.
Upload or correct payroll reports in a timely manner
- Make sure that you upload your payroll report by your pay date to ensure employee deferrals are timely deposited to the plan. If you upload your payroll report late, you may be responsible for any lost earnings owed to participants for the time their funds are left out of the market. Learn more about what to do if employee deferrals are not timely deposited.
- If a discrepancy in the payroll report is immediately identified after you upload the report, you can update the submitted payroll report up until 8:00 PM PST on the day the payroll report was submitted by clicking the “Edit deduction amounts” button in the Payroll tab of your Guideline dashboard.
- If a discrepancy in the payroll report is identified after 8:00 PM PST on the day that the payroll report was submitted, then you can correct and make edits to that payroll by clicking the “Edit deduction amounts” button in the Payroll tab of your Guideline dashboard once the payroll status shows as “Completed”, which may take 2-3 business days.
- If you are correcting a payroll to perform a reversal, the reversal amount will be returned to the plan as part of plan cash (forfeitures, gains, or basis amounts).
- Guideline will deplete any outstanding eligible funds in the “plan cash” balance before withdrawing from your bank account
- If you are correcting a payroll to add additional funds, the additional funds will appear as a separate ACH withdrawal from your bank account or other funding source.